Homework Concentration: 7 Tricks That Can Help You Make The Grade
Nightly homework can be time consuming and frustrating for students. Studies vary on the effectiveness of doing work outside of class. Because of low turn-in rates, some teachers do not assign it at all. If you have a teacher who likes to assign homework, there are some tricks that can help you get it done and earn top grades without having to work too hard.
- 1. Use your time in class. Teachers are known for giving their students some work time at the end of the class. Students are known for wasting that time, too. If you get the time, use it because it will save your time at home.
- 2. Use your resources. If you have a textbook, it probably has some clues to help you get your work done more effectively. Math books will have answers in the back. If your textbook has an online edition, it will have links to tutorials and other answers. The resources are there to help you succeed, so use them.
- 3. Get online help. If you do not have a textbook, there are still plenty of online resources that can help you finish your work and earn good grades. There are message boards that students can use to find answers to questions. There are writing websites that provide free examples so students have a template to use. There are also non-profit organizations that offer free tutoring for students who need one-on-one help.
- 4. Find a quiet place to work. Students are easily distracted, so having a quiet place to work is a good way to get work finished. Having a table and all of the necessary supplies also helps.
- 5. Avoid distractions. When you are working on homework, it is best to turn off the cellphone and do your work. If you know that you need to use your computer, give yourself goals and time limits. For example, if you work for 25 minutes, you get 5 minutes of time to play on the computer. If you need to work on the computer, do your best to avoid getting distracted by social media. If you work better with music, turn it on and let it guide you through your assignments.
- 6. Finish your work. If you do not finish, your teacher cannot give you the credit you need to pass with a good grade.
- 7. Turn it in. If you do not turn in your work, you cannot get a good grade on it. Surprisingly, many students do their assignments, but never turn them in.